Powerspark Electronic Ignition Kit & Accuspark Ignition Kits

Modern technology for Classic cars should not cost the earth, after all the technology is all the same.

It seems that the tables have turned in the market for modern ignition and it now seems there are two very similar electronic conversion kits that replace the points and the condenser allowing the product to sit entirely hidden inside the distributor cap.

Two wires only run back to the ignition coil, BLACK goes to the negative side and RED goes to the positive or LIVE side of the coil and provided you have a negative earth vehicle with between 6 and 16 volts then you will be very pleased with the results. Installation can take from 10 to 30 minutes depending on which one from the wide range that you require and the skill level is certainly nothing difficult.

The Powerspark electronic ignition and Accuspark ignition kits start from just under £30, strong development and testing for this ignition system has been completed over the 12 years now and recently it seems that they are leaving the competition behind.

The question should not be “Why are they so cheap compared to others” it should be, Why are the competition charging so much for the same technology.

So why hang around?
Upgrade now.

www.simonbbc.com has some excellent customer service and is more than happy to ensure you get support throughout your purchase from the Sales team.

Electronic ignition distributors are excellent with many standard and performance options available and even positive earth solutions too.

Notice the difference as soon as you turn the key!!
Powerspark electronic ignition

Comments
  1. Garry Gregory says:

I’am interested in fitting electronic ignition to my Reliant Rialto what would the benefits be

2. simonbbc says:

Thank you for your question, the benfits are:
    You do not rely on your points and condensor
    Set it once and forget it
    Improved fuel economy
    Increased performance through the rev range
    Simple to fit
    Smooths most poor running

There are many more benefits from using the electronic ignition kit but the main reasons are above.

Thanks

3. Regarding Accuspark they only replace points with an electronic ignition conversion kit, Powerspark distributors are custom build distributors with a complete hall effect electronic ignition system and not a magnetic triggered conversion kit the result is a much more responsive component and an altogether more reliable ignition system IMHO.
    The distributor that they use are all the same advance curve and not matched to any specific engine.. they have electornic ignition kits just as Powerspark do and Accuspark rely on that system for all of their distributors and this I think is a big downfall.
    The kit is good however it is not high dwell and does not allow high energy coils to be used so the spark is only going to be as good as points and a little better one of the benefits of the kit itself is that it is more responsive than points through the rev range BUT this kit is certainly going to have limits and this is why http://www.simonbbc.com from speaking to them use a different custom built system over the conversion kit.

4. Nasir Lotia says:

I am changing my Distributor and Coil in a VW Beetle 1969 1500cc Beetle to an Electronic one should I buy Pertronix, Accuspark or Powerspark make and which one. I will be obliged if you can help me.

Hello Nasir

Regarding Pertronix, I can say that the Powerspark product is very similar to this solution and the results are identical.
      Obviously the price is a bit different and Powerspark offers a lengthy warranty with the conversion kits and distributors.
      On the 69 Beetle if you are looking to upgrade to electronic ignition then I would certainly look at the Lucas Gold Sports coil DLB105 and the Powerspark 034 SVDA distributor.
      This will increase your starting running and fuel economy without a doubt and the performance gain with this distributor will leave you wishing you did this a long time before now.

I hope this helps

5. Savio says:

I have 6V VW Beetle 1200cc 1961 model with Bosch ZV/PAU/4R5 distributor with broad cap and 2 parts CB point. Presenttly I have converted into 12V. Do you have electronic kit to replace this headache CB point system
    ? Remember it should fit existing Bosch wide cap distributor ZV/PAU/4R5 having vacum advance unit. Appreciated for your quick response.

Brgds,
    M.S.A.Rodrigues
    Goa India

6. David Horrocks says:

Hello,
    I am investigating fitting an electronic ignition system to my 1965 Alvis. The vehicle is positive earth. Without re inventing the wheel and having to change the whole electrical system to Negative earth is there anything available which will give good results?

• simonbbc says:

The Powerspark system now is available for positive earth and this is simply a drop in solution however converting to negative earth is not too lengthy a job and can be done on most vehicles without a hitch.
      Our write up, I hope will help HERE
      This also saves you a fair bit of money as the negative solution is half the price but we have both options available for you.

7. jon says:

Hi! – Nice Post!

I agree whith You, namely the way it runs ad can afect each one of us nowadays couse of growing crisis…
    Im very interested in this subject, namely because i think we can always deal a litle bit in order to reduce the bill! – But for that, We do need to know exactly the terms, conditions, advantages and disadvantages of eacha one of the possible companies to each we can contract automobile insurance! And When we know that,…we just use some litle trics and tips essencial for lowering the price of the final insurance contract! Here is some good usefull info data i´ve found, that i can share whith You People: http://carinsurance-advisor.blogspot.com/ – Everything about auto insurance, where we can find some possible ways to lower its costs!
    And never forget about searching and searching again before closing Your insurance deal!
    Be my guest and contact me for us to share some info on that.

Never give up, always on the run to find Your Our Best deal!
    Good luck everyone!

Cheers my Friends!

JJ

8. Geoff Burrows says:

looking to replace the points on my 1978 mgb gt the distributor is a 43D4 which i understand is the same as the 45D4. Is there a powerspark kit for this and do I need a replacement rotor. Many thanks. Geoff

9. sam says:

Hi nice little article.
    was just wondering if you know how high the powerspark electronic points for a mini can rev up to without failure/overheating?
    cheers

• simonbbc says:

Thank you for your post, our Powerspark ignition kit will safely allow the vehicle to continue revving as it did on points with more accuracy and power through out the rev range and because of the development that we have put into this ignition kit over the last 12 years heat is handled well within the module and there are no limits.
      Other ignition kits are older in design and have not had the same length of development so they tend to be limited with their capability.
      I hope this helps

10. reney says:

Stealth Electronic ignition 2 is it as good with adaptive dwell for a 1500 gt cortina 1963 and can i use any electric ign coil with this kit.

11. Paul Lewis says:

I am trying to fit the conversion kit to the 45D4 distributor on my friend’s MGB and have a problem fitting the rotating magnet on the top of the distributor shaft – it’s seemingly slightly too small.
    I’ve taken any burring off the edges of the recess but without tapping it on with a hammer, I can’t see how else to get it on. It says not to use to much force in the instructions – should I progress with the hammer and small socket?

Should the earth link from the distributor body that used to be connected to the condenser securing screw again be connected to the lower screw on the pick up?

Many thanks

Paul

Hi Paul

Thanks for the question and this could possibly be due to an oversized shaft that is installed in the 45D we do see this every now and again.
      It is either an aftermarket distributor or simply a different shaft was picked during assembly.
      Please do not apply too much pressure to the ring and we find the best thing to do is dremmel/file out the inside of the trigger ring so that it does slip over nicely… Just a little at a time and if that goes wrong then please let us know we are always happy to help.

12. Paul Lewis says:

Hi Simon,

Thanks for that – will progress this evening.
    Should that little earth strap be attached again or just trimmed off??

Thanks and regards

Paul

13. Ian says:

Hi! Simon Ilive in NZ and am interested in replacing points et. in a Triumph Stag which model “Power Spark” do I require? Also can I contact you by telephone?

14. CJ says:

Hi Simon – can you elaborate on this comment: “There is NO improvement in the Stealth electronic ignition II, the system has not had any development and is simply a new name. If you are looking for the best saturation and dwell control with an ignition system upgrade then the High Energy system will be the best option for the 1500 gt Cortina”. Surely with programmable/adjustable dwell and advance the Stealth offers more flexibility than the High Energy with (I assume) a fixed mechanical advance?

• simonbbc says:

This article was written when Accuspark released a “Stealth II” ignitor and it refers to the fact the internally there is no difference over that and the first one that they released 3 or so years ago.

That is separate from your question however so forgive me for going off on a tangent, there is no improvement yet over the first ignition kit be it the first one on the scene the Powerspark electronic ignition kit or the late arrival Accuspark I or II it is simply clever marketing.

There will soon be a new ignition kit to hit the market (estimated early January) from Powerspark and I am sure from Accuspark too and this will offer a lot of new features that will have many improvements.

Watch this space…

• Chris says:

I have got an mgb gt 1972. I have had two petronix electronic distributors 45d and both have failed, they were even fitted to my car by the man himself (alan), he was baffled as to why this had happened saying that my car was the first car to have had this happen to…I have had a new lucas sports coil, new leads, new spark plugs and i am now back on points, would your distributor be any different and have you any idea why i keep gettin burnt out units? Just a bit worried as i use my mgb as a daily commute and your units seem to be no different from petronix?

Thanks for the question.
        Please can you contact me about this, it is possible that copper leads can be a cause of this coupled with the sports coil so can you tell me what material they are?

15. christopher glear says:

Which leads do i check for copper? The distributor from petronix burnt out twice with my original coil and once with my sports coil. Is there a kind of regulator i can buy to stop or prevent this as my car runs a lot better with this electronic distributor and would liek one back on

• simonbbc says:

The HT leads should be tested to see if they are copper… if they are copper you can get resistive ends for them or for the same money a new set of silicon HT leads which tend to be resistive and are a better pairing for electronic ignition.

16. dave says:

have read that sports coil shouldn’t be used with electronic ignition, and silicone leads are better over copper.

• simonbbc says:

Thanks for your comment, we recommend using the silicon compound HT leads when you upgrade to the sports coil and if you have silicon leads then there no problem with electronic ignition at all. The issue with copper leads is related to the increased kick you get from a beefier coil.

17. geoff aitken says:

Do you supply powerspark kit for ac delco distributor fitted to triumph dolomite 1850 and is it a straight forward job to fit. I believe the dizzy model is d302. tractor boy

18. Daniel Dienes says:

Hello Simon, I bought a new points dissy from Craddocks a month ago (25D) for my 1957 Series 1 Land Rover, which works fine, but I chose to convert it to electronic ignition after the condenser it came with failed. I bought an Accuspark kit, but the black lug with the magnet, that goes over the rotor shaft, was way too tight a fit. It turns out the rotor shaft in my new dissy is way too far out of spec (17.5mm diameter – should be 16.5mm) and I plan to return it. I guess the Powerspark kits also suit a 16.5mm diameter rotor shaft too. So, I’m wondering what you might have as a electronic complete distributor for my car. I’d be interested in either a DM2 Electronic distributor (original dissy in my car was a DM2), or a 25D electronic distributor, as it’ll work – or either without vac advance if such a thing exists…..Oh, and with side exit leads. I hope you can help.

Dan.

19. John says:

I fitted a module to my 1975 series 3 land rover. it has a 45 type distributor on it. I too noticed the black trigger ring was very slightly too tight a fit but figured gentle removal of the hard plastic could not hurt so that’s what I did. Got a very nice tight fit and fired it up, fantastic. Been on about 3 months now and I kid you not she starts first time every time even in the cold. Tickover is very even and I think the result is way better than the previous points set up.

20. mike church says:

I have just fitted accuspark ign. to my MGB on the road its the best it as ever run and ticks over beautifully but when hot it does not start I have checked wires to coil they are right so wonder if you can help.

• simonbbc says:

Thanks for the email and the problem you describe could be that you have changed your coil but did this with an incompatible one so please check the coil and also see if you have a ballast please.
      Failing that the module may have an issue but this is less likely than an issue with the ballast from what you describe.

21. Bob Vogler says:

Do you have an accuspark kit for my 1931 Ford model A? Thanks, Bob Vogler

• simonbbc says:

Thank you for your email, Powerspark ignition do not do an ignition kit that drops directly into this distributor however if you can send me images of this distributor and markings from the side I can try to get a solution for you.

22. Bob Vogler says:

The distributor of my 31 has been switched to 12V Neg ground, with modern points (but with no condenser), which triggers a 95 Ford ignition system. The points cam is the same original cam held in place with a screw. I would like to have your point-less trigger for my existing setup. Hopefully your trigger would simply replace the existing points, and slip on your magnetic ring over the cam. I would like to retain the existing original distributor cap. The distributor looks similar to the 1932 Ford model Y for the European market, but it has a manual spark control . There are no markings on the distributor, but I can send photos, if you tell me where to send them. Thanks for your consideration, Bob Vogler

Reply: Thank you for your comment, can you send images to our email address sales@simonbbc.com and we can look at getting you a solution.

23. ck says:

hi let say i want to upgrade my coil, which will you recomemnd? (for electronic ignition)

• simonbbc says:

Matched to the electronic ignition is this ignition coil : HERE
      Although we have a number of them on our site, with any that state they are for electronic ignition or let me know if you would like a specific model or fitment and I will help get the coil you want.

24. On the new Positive Earth Accuspark the two wires from the distributor are black and WHITE instead of black and red. How are these wires supposed to be connected?

25. richard says:

hi

is it worth getting a 12v regulator to sit between the accupsark + lead and the supply from the vehicle ?

they can be bought for pence these days and it wold remove the possible 14.2v problem
    as mentioned in the fitting guide, and perhaps also increase stability ?

thanks

RR

• simonbbc says:

Thank you for your email, yes the addition on a voltage regulator would be a good investment and can be fitted to prevent premature failure from a voltage spike.

• richard says:

thanks.

what current does the accuspark module itself draw ?

i need to know so as to get a sufficiently capable regulator.

26. Jadran Velic says:

Hi,
    I’m interested in fitting Powerspark electronic ignition kit to my 1978 Fiat 127 900/L with Magneti Marelli distributor without vacuum (S155A). Which kit would be appropriate for my car and do you ship to Croatia?
    Jadran

27. Aidan Tupper says:

Not sure in powerspark are the same as accuspark but I would suggest as with many others not to touch accuspark I have returned their equipment as it’s rubbish and threw their ignition system in the bin.Still not received a refund

• simonbbc says:

Thank you for your post. They are two different companies and we pride outselves on having excellent customer service here at Powerspark. Please feel free to contact us with any qiestions.

28. Phil says:

Hi
    I am interested in upgrading my 1600 Ford Kent from the points and condenser setup, to electronic ignition. I am running dual weber 40 carbs on it, so will need a side exit cap. I am looking for the whole kit. The engine is running in a Lotus 7 replica (Birkin), with gasflowed heads etc. Used mostly on road and odd track day.

What would you recommend for the whole conversion? Also do you ship to South Africa?

• simonbbc says:

Thank you for your enquiry, we are able to supply all of these parts for you.
      I have contacted you through your email address directly to help with this request.